Nigeria: Several hours after train attack, family members worry about whereabouts of loved ones

Some family members of passengers on the Kaduna-bound train attacked on Monday say they do not yet know the fate of their loved ones.

Speaking to a News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at Rigasa Railway Station in Kaduna on Tuesday, they said they had yet to make contact, 14 hours after the tragic incident.

So they appealed to the state government for help to relieve them of the apprehension they were going through.

Mr Mohammed Barau, a resident of Ungwan Rimi neighborhood in Kaduna, said he was at the station to provide an update on the incident, adding that his younger brother was on the attacked train.

“We called his line several times with no answer, until later his friend who was sitting with him on the train picked up and told us that my brother had left his phone on the seat, and he didn’t know where he was. found.

“When we tried to call back later the phone was off and when we called the friend he wouldn’t pick up.

“By now, the government should have released a full list of those killed, injured, and the number of people evacuated.

“At least when it’s done it would reassure us, but we haven’t heard anything yet,” he said.

Furthermore, Miss Lami Gombo, a resident of Kudenden, Kaduna, said she had not yet heard from her brother, who was on the train.

“His phone lines are down; we went to the Nigerian Army Referral Hospital but did not see him there.

“The development is worrying as the whole family is confused as to whether our brother is still alive, dead or has been kidnapped,” she said.

Others who spoke to NAN expressed the same sentiment, adding that their minds were never at peace due to no contact with relatives on board the attacked train.

A Nigerian Railway Corporation staff member, who was also on the ill-fated train, told NAN that some of the passengers fled into the bush for safety when the incident happened.

“No one can determine whether or not any passengers were kidnapped, but the pandemonium must have caused a lot of people to rush into the bush for their lives,” said the staff, who did not want their name given. noted.

NAN reports that the train bound for Kaduna, which left Abuja at 6pm on Monday, was attacked by suspected terrorists around 7.45pm, with only a 15 minute drive to reach Kaduna.

Kaduna State Commissioner for Home Affairs and Internal Security, Mr Samuel Aruwan, said on Tuesday that the train had been secured by military personnel and the government had evacuated the passengers on board.

He said staff from the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (KADSEMA) and the Nigerian Red Cross, Kaduna Branch carried out the evacuation.

Contacted by NAN for details of the number of casualties, a KADSEMA official who did not want his name mentioned said they were still working out the details.

Meanwhile, train service, including other commercial activities at Rigasa station, Kaduna, had been blocked following the incident. (NOPE)

Comments are closed.