Family members of mass shooting at FexEx plant to sue Indianapolis for $ 2.1 million | New
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Three members of the Sikh community are now considering suing the city of Indianapolis for $ 2.1 million in damages following the deadly shooting at a FedEx facility in April that killed eight people.
According to a report by FOX 59, the lawsuit seeks compensation from the city for failing to file a complaint against the shooter, Brandon Hole.
Indiana’s “red flag law” allows police or courts to seize the firearms of people who may commit acts of violence. It became law in 2005 after Indianapolis policeman Jake Laird was killed by a man whose guns were returned after the individual had mental health issues.
In March 2020, Hole’s shotgun was confiscated after his mother called the police over concerns about her son’s mental instability. Sheila Hole told FOX 59 that Brandon had threatened to kill himself on several occasions and said he wanted to commit suicide by cop. But ultimately, prosecutors did not file a petition with the court to determine if Hole was a continuing threat, which would have barred him from purchasing more weapons.
The shooter’s mother told FOX 59 that she believed the concerns that led police to seize Brandon’s gun should have prevented him from being able to purchase more guns in the future.
Plaintiffs in the lawsuit accuse the IMPD and the Marion County Attorney’s Office of violating this requirement of Indiana’s red flag law when they decided not to bring a lawsuit to the courts to stay Brandon Hole gun usage rights in March 2020.
The misdemeanor claims that the IMPD did not submit an affidavit after Hole’s gun was taken and the Marion County District Attorney’s Office did not request a hearing, “denying court the opportunity to review an affidavit and hold a subsequent hearing to determine whether Mr. Hole should be temporarily denied access to his firearm and / or be prohibited from purchasing or owning another firearm during the duration of the protection order, as required by law. “
Marion County District Attorney Ryan Mears said in April that because the shooter had surrendered his gun there was no reason to pursue the case.
The shooter then legally bought two rifles a few months later, which he used to kill eight former co-workers.
In the letter from the victims’ lawyers to the town’s lawyers, dated October 12, each of the three plaintiffs asked the town for $ 700,000 in damages.
Four members of the Sikh community, Amarjit Sekhon, Jasvinder Kaur, Amarjeet Kaur and Jaswinder Singh Bains, died in the shooting. Several other people who survived the shooting are also members of the Sikh faith.
FOX 59 has contacted the legal team responsible for the trial of members of the Sikh community, who have provided the statement below.
“We are legally required to provide adequate notice to the City of Indianapolis and Marion County within a certain time frame to protect the rights of our clients if they decide to go ahead with a lawsuit related to the tragedy of last April. Accordingly, we submitted this notice of complaints last month to comply with this obligation. We remain in close conversation with our clients about their injuries and their ongoing needs as we continue to chart the course and work on these issues. “- Winston & Strawn and the Sikh Coalition
The letter sent to the town’s lawyers serves as notice of the tort claim, the first step towards a formal trial.
Copyright 2021 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.