Family members of 9/11 victims push back against Trump for hosting Saudi-backed golf tournament

A group of Americans who lost family members in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center express outrage at former President Donald Trump’s decision to license his Bedminster Golf Club, New Jersey, to stage a Saudi-backed LIV golf stop. tour, citing Saudi Arabia’s role “in planning and carrying out the 9/11 attacks that killed 2,977 Americans.”

In a letter to Mr Trump, the group, which calls itself 9/11 Justice, said its decision to allow its golf club to hold an LIV event had caused them “deep pain and anger”. They cited his previous statements blaming the attacks on Saudi Arabia, where the vast majority of terrorists came from who hijacked a pair of jumbo jets and flew them into New York’s iconic skyscrapers. York.

They noted that Mr. Trump had previously acknowledged Saudi government complicity during a 2016 appearance on Fox News, in which he called for the release of documents that would have confirmed the kingdom’s role in the attacks. These documents were declassified by President Joe Biden in 2021, just before the 20th anniversary of the attacks.

“Mr. President, the documents are now open…and they reveal what we, and apparently you, knew all along. The Kingdom materially supported the planning and execution of these attacks,” they wrote, adding that reports compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation presented ‘details of numerous connections of United States-based personnel and entities controlled by the Saudi government’ to the al-Qaeda terrorist attacks.

“This includes the FBI’s ‘investigations and supporting documents’ regarding the ‘religious activist network that was created, funded, directed and supported by the [Kingdom of Saudi Arabia] and its affiliated organizations and diplomatic personnel in the United States,” they said.

“Given what you said on FOX and the commitment you made to many members of the 9/11 family when they met at the White House on September 11, 2019, we simply cannot understand how you were able to agree to accept money from the kingdom of saudi arabia golf league to hold their tournament on your golf course, and to do so in the shadow of Ground Zero in the New Jersey, which lost over 700 residents in the attacks,” they continued.

The 9/11 family members also asked Mr. Trump for an opportunity to discuss their concerns with him and urged him to “cease all business dealings with the regime that was complicit in the murder of [their] relatives “. They added that it was “incomprehensible” to them that a former president of the United States “throws [their] loved ones for personal financial gain.

Despite Mr. Trump’s call in 2016 to declassify information relating to the Saudi kingdom’s role in the 9/11 attacks, he never took any steps to do so while in office.

Mr. Trump is not the only member of his family to benefit from the relationship with the Saudis developed during his tenure in the White House. His son-in-law and former senior White House adviser Jared Kushner recently opened a private equity fund that received a $2 billion investment from a Saudi sovereign wealth fund.

Comments are closed.